Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend

Day 1 – Thursday

We slowly made our way up to camp. We had to stop at Wal-mart to get groceries and I bought a pink fishing pole. We also stopped at a couple of different country stores and then to buy my fishing license. We finally made it to camp around 7. I made dinner – tacos and then we went down to the river to get some fishing in. I didn’t catch anything except a couple of twigs. I kept getting stuck on rocks and finally I got it wrapped around a tree. Rick spent a good 45 minutes trying to get it free. He ended up just breaking the line. Rick had some success – a small mouth bass. We had Spunkette with us and my turtle Samson. He decided that he was tired of his tub and wanted out.

Escaping Turtle

Deer by Camp

Day 2 – Friday

We slept in and just hung around camp. I did some reading and laying out in the sun, Rick read magazines and took a nap. I finally put in a CSI and started watching it while Rick was outside chasing some turkeys with his gun. I also worked on some homework and then made us some lunch. We watched a couple more CSI and took a really long nap that afternoon. We finally woke up and decide to go fishing again. But I couldn’t find my license. We searched for over an hour looking at camp, in our clothes, in the truck, went down to the river – twice. And still never found it. We finally gave up and I let Rick do some fishing. I had my camera and just took pictures and talked to him. He never caught anything. We went back to the store that I had purchased my license and asked them to make a copy of it so I could still get some fishing in over the weekend. We didn’t get back to camp until 10 pm and I still had to make dinner – hamburger helper with buffalo meat.

Rick fishing


Yellow Flowers

Day 3 – Saturday

We set the alarm and I made breakfast – biscuits, sausage and eggs. Then we started to pack up our backpacks and get ready to leave. We left camp around 12:30 and drove 3 hours to get to the spot that we would leave the truck and hike. We strapped on our backpacks and hiked up the mountain three and half miles. Rick didn’t really know where we were going, so it took us a little longer than it should have. It was very hot, I was trying to get used to carrying the pack, and Rick was pushing me to go faster because we had to beat daylight. We finally made it to the top and started to set up camp. The bugs were horrible! So I asked Rick to start a fire to help with the bugs. Well, he tried but it never took. But I was able to stand in the smoke and get some relief from the bugs. We set up the tent, ate dinner and were in our sleeping bags by 9:30. We didn’t really go to sleep until after midnight, but our bodies were so tired that it felt great just laying there. It was really scary that night – there was no nose in the woods and it was just Rick and I in the middle of nowhere with no cell phone service in case we something happened. Plus I had a headache that turned into a migraine. I finally took some meds around 3 am and fell asleep shortly after.

Rick showing me the map

Mountain View

Tent set up

Smoldering fire

Rick cooking dinner

Day 4 - Sunday

We slept in until 9 and ate fruit snacks and granola bars for breakfast because we didn’t have enough water to cook the oatmeal that we brought. Rick attempted at making the fire but still it didn’t work. We tore down our campsite and strapped on our backpacks and headed out. We took another way out but still hiked about three and a half miles. But this day was a lot cooler, my pack was finally starting to feel better on my back and shoulders and we knew where we were going. We stopped to take some pictures of the view and then kept on hiking. We made it back to the truck by 1 pm. We were really tired, hot and sore, but it was also fun. We saw God’s handiwork, spent time with each other and got a great work out! We stopped on the way back to camp so that I could take some pictures of Senica Rocks.

Rick and I

The hidden passage

My Africa

The rocky trail

Senica Rocks

After we got back to camp, we just relaxed by watching some CSI, naps and took showers. While dinner was baking – frozen lasagna, we cleaned up around camp and got ready for our guests. At around 11, Rick Asbeas and his brother and the brother’s girlfriend showed up. We all talked for about an hour and the rest of the CSF group got there. There was a total of 14 people plus Rick and I at camp that night. We started a fire and made smores and just sat around and talked until 3 am.

Day 5 – Monday

People slept in till about 10 and we just sat around and talked while people took turns one at a time in the bathroom .A group of 5 went fishing and was gone all day long. The rest of us stayed at camp, played some cards, shot some guns, looked at wedding pictures and ate lunch - hot dogs and baked beans. We finally left camp at 2:30 and went down to Cass. We walked around the country store and when we started to leave the store to go hiking (or fishing) it started to rain. So we all sat down on the steps and just talked and admired the scenery in front of us.

Cass Country Store


CSF group

Everyone left around 5:30 and I made dinner for just Rick and I – biscuits, eggs and sausage. We took naps, cleaned camp, packed and watched some CSI.

Day 6 – Tuesday

We left camp at 7 am and came back to Richmond. We both really enjoyed our time up at camp. It was very peaceful. I loved spending time with just Rick. We had a good time with the CSF people. I can’t wait till we can do all of that again!

1 comment:

  1. your weekend sounds wonderful :-) Glad you had such a good time.