Thursday, September 24, 2009

My Kids

I love working with the kids at daycare. It gives me so much joy to play with them and see them smile. Or just to hold them and comfort them as they cry. Each class or age group is so different. And each class has a never ending fight that goes on all day long and then starts up again the next day and the next day and the next day. :0)

Toddler class - bites when another kid takes a toy. Bites ALOT.

Two year old class - 'my mommy', 'no, my mommy', until you have the whole class crying because they feel like they are losing their mommy.

Three year old - 'I'm a girl', 'I am a boy', 'No, you are a girl!', 'No, I am a boy!' over and over again until they are crying cause they know that they are a boy but are being told they are a girl from another 3 year old.

Preschool Class - 'She won't play with me!' 'Yes I was, she wasn't sharing!'. They all just want friends and want to play, but even at 4 years old you know who gets on your nerves and who doesn't it.

School Age - Tattling on EVERY SINGLE LITTLE THING! It gets very old very fast.

I have been put in nursery a lot lately. I like working in there in the mornings cause I can just sit and rock the babies as I feed them. In the afternoon I get stuck with the 'older' babies and just have to watch them play and keep them away from each other so there is no biting. Not quit as much fun as loving on a baby.

I have been officially placed in the younger school age class. Kindergarten and First Grade. I have about 16 kids a day. I have been trying to come up with different activities to keep them busy and to make little crafts to decorate the hallway with. Most of the time they all do pretty well with listening and following the rules. But then there are days that I just want to duck tape them to a chair.:0)
Yesterday, we were short 3 afternoon people so I worked with my mother. I also had a migraine and really didn't want to be around kids. So, I explained to my 5 and 6 year olds that I couldn't deal with lots of noise and I needed them to obey when I gave an instruction the first time - not after the 4 time. My kids did a great job! They were so well behaved and decently quiet! I was SO proud of them and told them that over and over again after my mother left. I went to Wal-mart last night and bought a few little treats for them - play-dough and we are going to play bingo today kinda as a reward.
When my family and I were getting ready for bed, my mom says, 'Julia, you have a really great bunch of kids in the afternoon.' I said thanks and left it at that. I didn't think that I needed to tell her that in the 4 weeks that I have worked with them - that was our best day yet!!! :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment